Monday, October 20, 2014

Glorious rain, awful voices, familiar faces, awkward kissing, whistling, tostadas, bikes, curbing fiery feelings, sleeping like a rock, and only one Mexico picture


HOLA FAMILIA!!!!

Soooo I LOVE MY MISSION and I LOVE MEXICO. Oh my gosh, I am having so much fun and I have so much to say. BUT I LOVE IT HERE! Seriously, I am so happy and thrilled to be serving a mission. My comp and I laugh every day.

Yes, I got your package and it was the greatest thing ever. Seeing those hand sanitizers was like Christmas. Haha. Those things save me cause we shake hands so much and you just have no idea where they’ve been. And I have been really good about picking up after myself... at least trying to be. :) And I am taking a ton of pictures, hopefully they work and come through. 

We do have one small problem though... I love the food. Seriously, it is much better than I thought it would be. It’s different, and I’m craving some yummy normal food, but it’s all good. Haha. I love tostadas! They’re way better than the tortillas. Whoever said the tortillas here are amazing and better, are wrong. I miss home tortillas. The ones here are super dry and aren’t quite as good, but hey, it’s food. 

I absolutely adore my companion. Her name is Hermana Ortiz and she is great. She’s been out 8 months and we laugh every single day. It’s awesome. We have bikes here and she crashes constantly and it’s hilarious. We constantly make fun of each other, in the best way of course, and have a blast. She’s from Ecuador!!! How neat is that... oh and she speaks 0, yes 0 English, so I’m learning Spanish real fast... ;) yay.

So the street we live on is called a cerrada. Pretty much everyone lives on one of these. It is a street that has a locked gate on the outside and a dead end on the other. Yes dad, very safe. :) Haha, but as far as feeling safe, I have felt safe the entire time here and been totally fine. There was a dog- fight, but even then it was fine.

Oh but one thing is that the guys do honk and whistle at me. It’s a daily thing, but I don’t mind. They call me guera here instead of gringa, in which I am the only one within miles. But hey, people wanna talk to me, so it’s all good. The hardest part of it all, the mish in general is curbing my fiery feelings. When guys (of all ages) whistle at me, I wanna yell at them, “I AM NOT A DOG, DO NOT TREAT ME AS SUCH”. But then I think, Jess, I mean Hermana Anstee, you are a rep of Christ, so then I just sing Jimmy Buffet’s “Breathe in. Breathe out. Move on” and I’m ok. Do as Jesus would, and sing Jimmy, am I right? :) 

One funny thing, ALL THE HOMES ARE THE EXACT SAME. No seriously. Exact same. Ours too. You walk in and there is a open area and then there’s stairs to go upstairs and then past the stairs is the kitchen and up the stairs is your bathroom and two rooms, which, my comp and I have our clothes in different rooms, but sleep in the same one. It’s pretty nice. Every family has a TV, of course, and cell phones. And everyone has a couch. We have a table and squeaky chairs. Looove it.

But one thing that’s fun is all the homes are the same, but everyone tries to spiffy it up - either painting a tree on the inside (just got done helping with that!) or colors on the outside. It’s all an attempt to be different and I absolutely LOVE IT. Oh my, I just can’t express how happy I am.

All the women greet each other with a kiss on the cheek and a hug and sometimes a handshake before all of it. Kinda different and I’m trying to figure out when you do what. I definitely have had some awkward pauses and moments where I didn’t know what to do and also close calls of actually kissing some women... so yeah. Love Mexico. Hahahaha.

Um, we definitely don’t have warm water, so we borrowed a little metal thingy that gets super hot and you plug it into the wall and it heats up and you put it in the water and it warms it up. We get a little cup and pour it on ourselves. Have I said how much I love Mexico? Seriously it’s actually really fun.

I love teaching people and there’s no pressure because people know I don’t speak Spanish and that I am trying so hard and they just laugh at me. A lot. But I love it. I adore the people here. Everyone is willing to talk to us and no one has been super rude. The way they say no is rather than give us their real address they give us the wrong address of where they live, and we go there and it’s not them, but then we find out it’s another family and teach them, and now their son is coming to teach with us this afternoon. Funny how the spirit works that way.

It rains a ton here and I LOVE IT. I wore my rubber boots and my coat and my umbrella and was the happiest camper in the world. Seriously, I played in puddles and my companion just laughed at my childishness. Haha. It is so fun and everyone loves my boots and say they’re gonna buy some. Yeahhh trend setterrrrr.

They have the cutest babies here - just sayin.

But they don’t have the best singing voices. Awful. Seriously. So I feel right at home. :) Hahahaha.

They also have terrible teeth.

People are telling me they wanna learn English, but won’t ever get up the courage to tell me what they know, but here in a little while I might be teaching some English lessons. I am working with my comp to teach her English, because it’s a good thing and the mission president wants me to. So yay. It’s fun to hear her say words... absolutely hilarious.

I am in Tecamec, in an area named Bosques, by the way.

So we are super close with a specific family in the ward named the Corona family. They’re the ones we are painting a tree on the wall for and they’re the ones I cried with when I bore my testimony that families can be together forever. Yep, gets me every time. But anyway, they are super kind to help me with words and Spanish and stuff, but yesterday they asked me to say the prayer in English so they could hear it and I FORGOT HOW TO PRAY IN ENGLISH. It was awful. I had to really think about it and even during the prayer I said por favor instead of please. Haha, the struggle is real.

The days feel like weeks and the weeks feel like days. We are working so hard and I love it. Every minute, every second, every hour of the day (ay ay ay ay - for jeni townsend) we are working toward our purpose. It’s the greatest thing ever and I go to bed exhausted and so happy. I sleep like a rock.

Oh, at church, not everyone wears dresses, so that’s interesting. There are guys and girls in jeans and I thought about dad and how he’d dig it here. Mom too, I guess... ;) 

The mish is SO MUCH BETTER THAN THE MTC. Holy smokes. I love and miss my MTC peeps, but couldn’t wait to get out. The mish is incredible and I LOVE IT.

Ok well, I love you guys and I love hearing how everything is going. Thanks for the package. I was a cool girl in town because I already got a package. Haha. I love and miss you so muchhhhh.

Hug each other for me and know that I am incredibly happy and living it up and working so hard! The church is true and I am loving life. Thanks for being the best parents ever and know I love you more than words can describe, to the dark side of the moon and back. Mwah, mwah, mwah. Tell Buddy I love him too. I pray for you all in Spanish every night, so if blessings aren’t coming it’s my bad, because I’m probably not saying it right. :) Haha.

Love you. Really. Can’t wait to have an update next week. 

MWAH

Hermana Anstee!!!!! :D 












No comments:

Post a Comment