Monday, December 15, 2014

Yummy crickets, lacking a rebellious stage story, running from bunnies, crocheting is not relaxing, and a death defying piñata bike ride.

My Dearest Darlingest Familia,

This week has been great and somewhat weird because I’ve been having quite a few intellectual thoughts for the first time in my life and I’m not quite sure how to handle it all. Bahaha. 
A handful of snacks.
This week started with learning how to crochet and learning that it is NOT my forte. At all. But for my comp, it was a breeze. So we contacted this group of old ladies that sit outside a house together and crochet all day long. Nothing more. And they sell the stuff they make – it’s a riot quite frankly. We just walked up to them and said we wanted to share a message with them and they were super reluctant. So we began with saying that we wanted to learn. We have gone back multiple times to have lessons and it is hilarious, but a really good way to develop a friendship with these ladies. They are all of different faiths and told us they respect the faiths of other’s and don’t talk about religion, but about the 3rd time we went back, they asked if we could give a blessing for a friend of theirs. Wow. It’s been great and slowly but surely we are working our way in to their hearts, as they are in to ours. My comp is seriously amazing at crocheting. I am absolutely horrible! She is at like, level 861 and I am still in the beginning crocheting-for-dummies class. Haha, but they told us that we are supposed to feel relaxed and it’s a calming thing to crochet, but for me my neck and shoulders ache so bad after a few minutes. It makes me anxious and oh! It’s awful... but my comp likes it, so I will keep working. Who knows, by the end of my mission maybe I will make a sweater... or maybe a hat. Orrrr, maybe not. Haha.




Our District


You will see pictures of a piñata that we destroyed today for our district Christmas party! It was super funny trying to bring it home and then to the party because... well you will see it in the pictures. But oh geez... it was hilarious! And people whacking it, even more!






An accident waiting to happen.


Crazy fun.
We were talking with Hermana Janet again and it was really eye opening for me and a tear-jerker. She told us about her daughter and how she is going through a super rebellious stage and that it’s really hard for her. And a whole lot of other stuff, but it made me think about you mom, and all the times that I did things badly or responded in a mean way and made me think about how grateful I am to have parents like you two. She told us how they yell at each other and that they fight and yada, yada, but it made me think about how we never yelled at each other in our home. And how I am eternally grateful for that. Thank you both for always telling me the WHY of things and not just “because I said so.” Thank you for talking to me in an adult way and always with love. I am so, so, so thankful. The mom asked for advice of what to do and my comp said we couldn’t give advice, but shared her history, which was really insightful in to why she is the way she is. I told her that she will never regret speaking with love, that as I am now reflecting on my past, I am so grateful that my parents always spoke with love and kindness, because in rough teenage years that’s what we need. I thought about the advice from dad, “you will never regret being kind” - motto of life right there. It made me reflect a lot on you two and how grateful I am to have the two of you as parents and all the great times we’ve had. I love you so stinking much. :)
Our District Christmas Party
Gift exchanges


So then I got to thinking about rebellious stages and how I never really got the chance to go through one and I’m a little bummed about that. Bahahaha, but really! My comp went through a really, really rebellious stage and I was talking to the other elders in our district and they did too. WHAT!? I want a rebellious stage to talk about! Sure I had my moments of rebellion and defying my parent’s rules, but not like that. I feel a little left out. Haha, no I know it’s a good thing, but it makes me laugh...
My hat and Elder Munoz
I heard from the elders that they are doing P90X in the mornings, and I got a little jealous. It turns out I just need to ask the President if I can and he will probably say, “yes” and then I can actually work out in the mornings! So uhh... maybe send me the P90X CDs? Por favor? Loveee youuuu :)

This past Friday was a huge celebration here in Mexico - day of the Virgin Guadalupe (who’s huge here). The parties in the streets were so big we couldn’t even pass with our bikes. So we were walking and my comp had to go to the bathroom really bad and was doing the dance... you know, where you’re bouncing up and down to try to hold it all in? And imagine the music is super loud and we can hardly hear each other when we are yelling and all of a sudden a super duper drunk guy walks up to us and says ¨hola amigas! I can dance too!¨and starts doing the wave with his arms, beer in his hand. Then he just walks away and passes out in a car. OH MY GOSH WE LAUGHED SO HARD. Bahaha, totally slurring and stumbling and it was a unique experience in this life of mine. Hahaha.

It’s a little chilly here at night, and in the mornings especially, and I am missing my red coat... maybe since this package made it could you send that to me too? Oh thanks, I love you so much! :) Only if it works out though... no stress. :)

WE ARE GOING TO SKYPE!!!! We have it planned for around 6:00 pm on the 25th my time! I AM SO EXCITED AND I WANT TO CRY JUST THINKING ABOUT IT!!! Ahhhh, we are going to see each other face to face and I can’t stinking wait!!!!!!!

Guess what I ate this week? – crickets! Yep. Crickets with chile sprinkled on top. Our good friends, the familia Corona, invited us to try them and I was freaking out! I couldn’t even handle touching one (they’re totally dead and I sent pictures), but I just couldn’t do it. Couldn’t. Do. It. But then they got out the camera and started videoing and so I had to... and want to know what? It wasn’t too bad. Then I ate another one, then another. Actually, pretty good! Full of protein too, they said. Also we ate tamales with them (tamales oaxaceños) and they are delicious. I think I’m accumulatizing (??) to the food here, and well, acclimatizing to all of it! :)
 


Yum... crickets!

Tamales oaxacenos
It turns out I’m super duper allergic to bunnies. Yeah, sad, I know. There are a few families in our area that we visit who have bunnies, and oh man, after about 5 minutes in their house, I am sneezing, then I’m itching all over, then it’s a little harder to breathe and then I finish the lesson and run out of the house. Oh my goodness, it was a little scary. Luckily we went to another member’s house to talk with their son who’s menos activo (less active) and they gave me this kick booty medicine that made me feel loads better, so probably no bunnies for me in the future. ;(

Our friend and her parrot.

Tecamac is such a golden area and I love it here. I feel so grateful to be here for the holidays where there is at least some sparse internet to be able to skype home and not in one of the rural areas that don’t get that option. It’s amazing how much I’ve grown to love the people. Miracles happen every day and I feel unbelievably blessed to be here and helping in this work. Sure, some days are hard, but thanks to the Savior I can get up day after day and keep on going. 

That’s pretty much my week! Well, the notable experiences at least. I am realizing that I am truly living. Each day is an adventure and a challenge, but every day I am learning that I can actually do this. Yeah, it’s hard, but I laugh every day and my comp is one of my best friends. I love my life and I love being here on a mission. But I love you, my family, even more. I love you to the dark side of the sun and back and I can’t wait to talk to you!!!! Thanks for absolutely everything you do for me - you are my world. Thanks for the updates, the pictures, everything.

LOVE YOU SO MUCH!!!!

Siempre su hija (always your daughter),

Hermana Anstee :)









No comments:

Post a Comment